Monday 22 October 2012

The Perks of Being A Wallflower


Just watched the above movie with Gwen today :) really glad I got to meet her and talk to her, I need to hang out with her more.

 Feel like an angsty post so heck, I'm just going to go with it.

I honestly did not really like the book (Perks) that much, to me it was quite simplistic and I didn't really understand the hype (read the first chapter and found it hard to believe the narrator was in AP English, but that's just me). Added to the fact that the book and the quotes are incredibly over-used by people who try very hard to be 'cool' just irked me even more (the ones where Charlie talks about being 'infinite', which is actually quite profound, sad to say that the beauty of the line is dissolved because of the people who overuse and spring that quote EVERYWHERE). One, because they claim it is a fantastic piece of literature and two, the book serves no purpose than to be a stepping stone for their attainment of 'hipster-dom' and 'indie-ness'.

I think the movie, however, was incredibly well done. Logan Lerman was amazing and so was Ezra Miller. Emma Watson was okay, personally I felt that her character was quite the stock-type so there wasn't much challenge for her to pull of. The cinematography was brilliant and so was the editing. The tasteful music was also a plus point.

I cried at the end of the movie and during certain scenes (and I was probably the only person to cry in the whole cinema), not because I was moved to tears by a certain development in the plot, but because of how I related to everything that was happening throughout the whole movie. Probably because I've always felt like I never truly fit in anywhere and my long-standing obsession with writing and literature of any kind and form. I relate to Charlie, I guess, because I tend to go through those weird periods of time feeling incredibly lonely and awkward in most social interactions and events it's just quite sad. And I guess it's really easy for me to relate to someone who just sits and watches everything and just bottles it in, probably because I spend a lot of time doing that.

Thought about the film and my churning emotions and thoughts all the way home. Cried on the bus ride back and had awkward stares in my direction the entire time. Been thinking a lot lately, not really ready for anything coming my way. Still deciding what I want to do for next year and whether I really want to stay or I really want to go. I sound so much like an emotional mess, but funny because that's what best describes my current emotional and mental state.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone else out there feels the same way I do. Or if they feel like how Charlie or I feel sometimes when things happen.

Guess I'll never know.

Tsui

No comments:

Post a Comment